When living a sober life after addiction, your overall health improves immensely. This is because you’re no longer attacking your body by putting dangerous amounts of toxic substances in it. The Disease Model explains why it is so difficult to stay sober on a biological level. However, the development of addiction often has to do with more than the building of a physical tolerance.
- Taking a substance in larger quantities than you meant to for longer periods of time than intended.
- Whether you’re an addict or you are simply looking to improve your health, here are 14 reasons sobriety makes your life healthier, more fulfilling, and more fun.
- You don’t have to try and wrack your brain to remember who you were with or what happened.
- Again, this comes back to re-evaluating your priorities.
- Substance abuse is a growing problem in the United States, and withdrawal can be an uncomfortable experience.
In many cases, people begin using chemical substances in the first place because of an underlying issue. Detoxification and rehabilitation programs are available in both inpatient and outpatient settings. They also recommend avoiding short-term rehabilitation, as three months is the minimum recommended length of stay, and more than one course of treatment may be required.
Reasons Why Being Sober Is the Best Choice You’ll Ever Make
To help you maintain your sobriety and see the benefits of doing so, we are providing you with a detailed list of reasons why living a sober life is beneficial. Most people in recovery undergo at least one relapse, but you learn from each experience. Staying sober is a 24 hour ordeal and every minute, you learn to identify triggers, temptations, environmental hazards and — sometimes — the welcome distractions to help you stay sober.
- There is a list of diagnostic criteria laid out by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (also known as the DSM-V).
- In fact, living a sober life is the best decision that you can ever make.
- Additionally, children of addicts are more than twice as lucky to suffer physical and/or sexual abuse at the hands of their parents.
- Randi is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor and Supervisor who has over 20 years of experience in the field of mental health and addictions.
- Getting to a place in life where we are secure in our careers can take a long time.
- Walk through your day-in-the-life scenario and imagine what it looks like to have lost your sobriety and goals.
Instead of drinking until the early morning hours, you now give yourself a chance to rest earlier and get quality sleep. You can also choose to participate in an aftercare rehab program. Also known as alumni programs, they are an excellent choice for those struggling in early recovery. Aftercare programs give you access to the structure and guidance you enjoyed during rehab, but with the many freedoms of early recovery. If you’re ever struggling with the idea of long-term sobriety, talk to someone you trust. Every person in recovery is different, but how we speak to ourselves matters a lot. Mindfulness can help you stay in the present moment, shielding you from the anxiety caused by thinking of the future.
Better Sleep Pattern
Addiction is a chronic disease, which means that it’s something that you have and can manage for the rest of your life. However, some people are more susceptible https://ecosoberhouse.com/ than others and may need extra support during times of stress or crisis. There will be times when you’re feeling strong and times when you’re feeling weak.
And arrange local transportation to our Portland, Maine detox center. To learn more or to begin your own personal journey of drug and alcohol addiction recovery, contact us today. For some, finding a life of sobriety reasons to stay sober comes later in life. Others might be in a unique position while in younger life, where they don’t find themselves having to dedicate all of their energy toward raising a family or continuing in a career.
New instances of mental illness
Over time, the savings could add up to a house, a car, or a vacation to a place you’ve always wanted to visit. Whether it’s a child, a spouse, a parent, or another family member, addiction affects everyone. Getting sober will help an addict turn their attention back towards things they care about. Congratulate someone on their sobriety by expressing your support.